Monday, December 12, 2005

You know, this payoff is almost worth the entire arc


(picture from Jack. Click on the picture to see it within the context of the website. (Sensitive readers should not venture far from the links I provide in the column.))

I haven't been digging Jack recnetly for some reason. It just seemed lackluster to me, even though it features two characters I like a lot; Tedd and Dr. Sullivan.

I think one of the large problems here is the lack of moral conflict within the storyarc. There have been no large revelations. Mostly it's just been fighting and carnage. They're fighting aliens. Yay.

Then this strip comes along. They're all dead anyway, and a little humor is injected into the strip. Of course, to get this, you need to do a little bit of archive crawling. Such as the storylines here and here. The first is more pertinent, if you want to know. (Both stories should be relatively safe in terms of content, too.)

It's not top 5 worthy, but it is noteworthy.

(I'm actually working on a couple reviews right now. Expect them whenever as always. They will be finished when I'm satisfied. I also would like to build up a queue if possible. Please give suggestions. They can be your own comic, a comic you are considering, or one your like. It can be a comic in the reader list, the waiting list or neither. I'm not overloaded for comics yet. Suggest away.)

6 Comments:

Blogger tedzsee said...

Comics I am reading:
Built for Comfort (British Independent)

Sam and Fuzzy (Dayfree, Canadian)
*Killer Story arch currently

Beaver and Steve (British, Boxcar Comics)
FUNNY!

The Coffee Achievers (American, Boxcar Comics)
Nice story arch

Candi
*Recently caught the attention of Eric Burns at Websnark

Scary Go Round
Questionable Content

Sacred Pie
Like EPIC stories? Want to waste your day reading one? Then get frustrated because it's not finished yet? This is the comic for you!

---

Also, I timidly suggest my story-based comic (8 1/2 by Eleven), which can be found here. The archive is getting quite large these days (around 260 as I write this). If you visit, be wary that the storyline I'm currently on is rather dark compared to the usual fare. Or maybe not.

Anyways, those are some reading suggestions.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Andrew Araki said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've added a few of them to my review list. Are there any (besides your own) that you would really like to see reviewed?

10:05 AM  
Blogger tedzsee said...

I'm a big fan of Sam and Fuzzy. But a warning: their archives are heavy. Worth it, but heavy.

Beaver and Steve have a lighter archive load and also are deserving of attention.

4:20 PM  
Blogger tedzsee said...

also, I think Built for Comfort is worth a review considering it is a smaller comic that doesn't get talked about too often... but it also has a pretty heady archive.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Peter C. Hayward said...

I'd love it if you reviewed my comic, Stickies, except it doesn't start until next year. And even when it has started, I'd rather you waited a month or two so there was a decent backlog of strips.

But can I recommend it to you to look at in about 3 months time?

4:30 AM  
Blogger Andrew Araki said...

perfectly fine. Just recommend it again when you're ready. I'll look at it then.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home